Viluthu has pioneered numerous campaigns and built capacities of women to engage, contest and build solidarity with national efforts to increase women’s representation in governance.
Over the years our campaigns include titles such as From Pots and Pans to Politics (aduparaiyil irunthu arasiyal varai), and 50:50 (equal representation). Sri Lanka’s Local Government quota of 25% for women happened due to the untiring efforts of feminist groups and women’s rights activists.
- We supported the first Muslim woman elected in the Eastern Province at the LG Elections in 2011
- Created the first community owned election fund for women’s political participation
- The Ministry of Women’s Affairs collaborated to provide resource persons for capacity building of nominees and candidates
- Inclusion of WHH political participation in CEDAW Recommendations in 2017
- Sixty Four women trained by Viluthu have been nominated/elected in Local Government elections to date